For More Information About the Artwork of South Texas Artist Don Breeden Please Phone or Email:
Or, if you can't get a hold of Don (because he's usually out of town or fishing) you can contact Chris Breeden at:
has spent over 45 years drawing, painting and illustrating a wide
variety of South Texas subject matter. From Texas songbirds to ornery
javelinas, elusive big game animals, and prized game fish to the lovely
South Texas wildflowers.
No matter the subject, Don has the unique ability to bring a little bit of South Texas into your home.
Along with his many wildlife studies, Don has spent considerable time completing detailed architectural illustrations for architects, home owners, and builders. His attention to detail and vast architectural experience allows him to illustrate a wide variety of Historic buildings, homes and other architectural projects.
Don received his formal art training at the University of Houston and graduated with a fine arts degree, with a major in commercial art.
He owned and operated Breeden Gallery and Frame Shop in Brownsville for over 30 years before selling it and moving towards attending Expos and Art Fairs throughout South Texas to exhibit his work.
Now days, the best way to view his work is to go online, visit him at the various Art Shows or call for an appointment.
over 500 limited editions in print, Don has a wide variety of subjects
from which to choose. Or, call to see if any originals are available.
What Don is most famous for is his ability to bring nature into view for everyone to see. This is what makes his work so highly collected. His work is not just a technical rendering of birds, Gulf Coast fish, animals or the varied plants and brush of the outdoors; it is that instant, that one moment that sticks in your mind when you can recall actually seeing those birds, watching quietly as that White-tailed deer moves through the mesquite brush or stand startled as the covey of quail breaks from under your feet.
In addition to his repertoire of limited edition prints of the Gulf Coast and South Texas, Don:
• Was featured as the cover artist the Texas International Fishing Tournament (TIFT) for many years.
• Was selected as the Ducks Unlimited Texas Sponsor Artist of the Year, 1999.
• Selected to create “The Fish of The Texas Gulf Coast” poster for the CCA.
• Was published in National Geographic Magazine.
• Illustrated, co-wrote and produced an educational coloring book of the Birds of South Texas and Northeast Mexico in English and Spanish.
• Was a Sponsor Artist for the 2014 and 2015 South Texas Quail Coalition.
• Was the Sponsor Artist and cover artist for the Texas State Rifle Association.
• Illustrated a full color Fishing Guide to the Brownsville Area, along with the illustrated full color Guide to the Birds of the Brownsville Area and a full color illustrated Guide to the Wildflowers of South Texas.
• Produced the “Historic Flags of Texas”, a series of over 50 full color water color images/ limited edition prints, of the Flags of The Republic of Texas. These were published and have been part of a traveling display at various historical museums in South Texas.
• Has illustrated and published 14 posters commemorating the annual Charro Days Fiesta in Brownsville.
• Is a designer and illustrator of over 50 different promotional posters for various events in the Rio Grande Valley and South Texas including the world renowned Gladys Porter Zoo.
• Has illustrated and published a series of posters including:
- The Flags of The Alamo
- The Flags of Goliad
- The Six Flags Over Texas
- The Tri-Colored Flags Over Texas